Sunday, May 22, 2011

It's Been a Long Time Coming: The Back Story


So, I've been overweight for oh, about since I can remember, or at least since just after high school, which some days is the same thing. And I've been okay about it. Even when we all got called up in health class to have our BMI measured (in front of everybody). I mean, hey, fat people make the world a jolly place, right?

Anyway, I digress. I suppose that the first time I really told myself I needed to stop enjoying food so much was back a few years ago when I was working on my Masters. After stepping on the scales after 6 weeks of unhealthy eating and sleeping and work stress, I topped out at 299 pounds. Right then and there I swore to myself that I would never reach the 300 mark, although in some sports that would be a sweet club to belong to. Fortunately (or unfortunately for some), I've put my sumo ambitions to rest.

I worked it down to a manageable 280. But that seems to be about as low as I've been able to get it in recent years. Lately, the stress of working two jobs and going back to school (yes, again) have apparently overcome my self-control. Bummer for me. Honestly, I don't feel any bigger, but the straw that broke the buffalo's back (camels are too sissy) happened this past Friday when our school takes the students up to Lagoon for the annual end-of-year trip. After waiting 40 minutes in line to shake my guts, the worker can't get one of the darn harnesses to lock into place over my belly. Instead of trying to get me to suck it in, I was asked to get off. (Pause for audience to retrieve jaws from floor.) No, "I'm sorry, sir" just "We'll have to ask you to exit the ride."

That did it.

I am resolved to lose the pounds, fight the fight, shed the blubber from my carcass, for the good of myself, my family, and whoever else might happen to give a crap. And I plan to do it any way I can. This blog will serve as a reminder for me as well as an inspiration because I'm going to make myself post frequently about what I did to not be so fat each day.

I realize my limitations. Guacamole bacon cheeseburgers will never become extinct, not should they. I can't drop it all overnight, although that would be a cool trick. My busy schedule won't really allow for an established routine or a gym membership. And I absolutely refuse to give in to one of those stupid fad diets. To quote my favorite feline, Garfield, "the word 'diet' is simply 'die' with a 't' on the end of it."

So I'm asking for support, some sympathy, and even a kick in the trunk every once in a while from you, my friends. Grab the Twinkie out of my hand, ask me if I should really be asking for bigger dessert plates, or at least leave me some encouragement every once in a while. It'll be much easier knowing that others are watching.

I'll keep you updated on my progress. I might post weights; I might not. It all depends on how much time it takes to sweep up the remains of the scale after I stomp its guts out. I'll just post every so often about things that I do to not be so fat.

P.S. Today I only ate one BLT for dinner and didn't have anything to snack on after 7:00.
(Pudgy smiley face.)

P.P.S. Also note the section at the bottom of the blog labeled "Self-imposed Rules Blah Blah Blah."

4 comments:

  1. I love you. You can do it. I'll be here every step of the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might be surprised to learn that even skinny "people" can be unhealthy. The more I have learned about becoming healthy, the more I realize how important the things we put in our body are. Being healthy is not only about avoiding foods that are "empty calorie, energy sucking, & nutrition deficient" but just as important is eating foods that are rich in nutrition and provide all the good things our bodies need. Our bodies are amazing with the things they can put up with but they eventually can't handle it anymore. And our bodies ability to heal when we give them nutrition dense food is even more amazing.

    I am also amazed as I have gone down the path to health how very closely tied the things we put into our bodies are to our spiritual selves. I cannot believe all that I can see in the "word of wisdom" now. The Lord truly knows the things that our bodies need to be healthy. The word of wisdom is not a thing of the past but very relevant to our joy and happiness in todays world.

    You are a smart, determined, focused man and can do anything you set your mind to. If you make this journey a "family affair" you will have the success you seek, I know it!

    I leave you with my favorite quote...
    "nothing tastes better than feeling GREAT!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm guilty of number 4 on the list, too. Ha ha. Only, you have a few more kids than I do. Good luck forming new and healthier habits! Have you ever tried eating pieces of paper? ;) --Will

    ReplyDelete